According to the Aspen Institute, about 50 percent of adults have worked in the restaurant industry at least once in their lives and over 25 percent of adults’ first job was at a restaurant. That means that many people have gained their first on the job working experience and skill set doing some type of food service. In fact, you’re probably one of them.
However, you’re still worried that you don’t have enough experience or don’t have the right skills.
You may think flipping burgers is an unskilled job, but you’re wrong.
You’ve gained necessary transferable skills that will launch your career. Let’s see how we can put those skills on your resume.
Any time you write a resume, you need to know what you’re applying for. Take a look at the job description as a guide to write your resume. Consider the job duties and responsibilities and tailor your food service experience to it.
Here are a few resume bullet examples based on different skill set areas.
- Maintained high standards of customer service during high-volume, fast, paced operations
- Built loyal clientele of diverse backgrounds through friendly interactions and consistently scored over 90% satisfaction rating on customer service
- Resolved complaints promptly and professionally to ensure customer satisfaction
Collaboration and Teamwork
- Communicated clearly and positively with coworkers and management to
- Cross trained and coordinated scheduling with team members to ensure seamless service
Attention to Detail/Organization
- Tracked inventory to ensure the restaurant nevera ran out of napkins, utensils or paper rolls
- Organized and prioritized work flow and dally assignments for maximum production
- Utilized (POS) Point-of Service computer system for automated order taking
- Trained 3 servers who were underperforming, increasing their sales to meet the company average
- Supervised production methods and techniques to ensure quality and safety standards
This is a great start, if you’re still struggling to translate your skills. Check out these resources to help you write your food service experience in transferable skills. In fact, I’ve gained inspiration for the bullets from the following resources: Food Service Experience on a Resume, Resume Genius, Job Hero.
After you’ve worked on your resume, be sure to review your formatting, check for grammar and use our services for additional advice or a resume review.