Excited about the opportunity to participate in one of the CCD’s Funded Internship Programs, but wondering how you can make sure your application is stronger? Follow these application tips to make yourself a great candidate for one of the Funded Internship Programs!
- Prepare your responses in a separate document. The application form is not one which allows you to save your progress; you must complete the application in a single session.
- Use Center for Career Development resources to get help with your resume, including Resume & Cover Letter Review Hours and the Resume Guide.
- Get to know your professors. Visiting office hours, participating and answering questions during class, and talking to them before or after lecture are great ways to build a relationship.
As long as you follow the tips and put in the effort needed to submit a thoughtful and complete application, you can feel confident that you have made your best effort in applying.
- Get in contact with recommenders early.
- Send a reminder prior to the application deadline.
- Consider a second (optional) letter of recommendation. In addition to the one required faculty letter of recommendation, you can also obtain a second (optional) letter of recommendation from any faculty or staff member at BU.
- Put thought and effort into your responses. You have 4,000 characters per response, so make sure you are writing more than just a couple of sentences.
- Proofread your short essay responses.
Lastly, don’t overthink it! It is easy to tell when someone puts time into an application vs. when they do not. As long as you follow the tips above and put in the effort needed to submit a thoughtful and complete application, you can feel confident that you have made your best effort in applying!
Good luck, and remember that the Center for Career Development has many resources, from workshops to individual counseling appointments, to help you navigate the Funded Internship Programs process and all other steps in your career journey!