The CCD has many resources available to help you during your time at BU and even after you graduate. One of the most personalized resources for you is a career counseling appointment. The CCD has seven counselors who work with undergraduates, master’s and PhD students, and alumni from all schools and colleges at BU.
Career counselors help you work through the process of understanding yourself and the working world. This goes beyond helping you to conduct a job or internship search or reviewing your resume. The goal is to help you learn the process of career development, so that you can make informed educational, career, and life decisions.
Many students make an appointment with a career counselor simply because they feel lost when thinking about their major or their career direction. That’s okay! You do not need to have specific questions. Some students meet with a counselor once just to get started, and others meet with a counselor several times or on an ongoing basis to continue to work through various concerns or questions that may develop.
What we can do:
- Help you figure out what is important to you for your time here at BU; what you want to be involved in, what you want out of your education.
- Help you sort out concerns about your career and education choices and help you to identify factors that might influence your choices.
- Help you organize your thoughts surrounding your career and educational choices.
- Help identify resources for more information, people who might provide more assistance, and next steps to achieve your goals.
What we don’t do:
- We don’t tell you what you should choose for a major. Instead, we can help you understand yourself so that you make the best major choice based on your skills, interests, values, and personality.
- We don’t tell you what classes you need to graduate. You can talk this over with your academic advisor.
- We don’t tell you what job or internship to take or what graduate school to go to. We can help you work through your options to make the right choice based on your goals.
- We don’t help with visa compliance. You need to work with ISSO to ensure that you have proper documentation if you are an international student.
Career counseling is a great resource BU offers to students, and it’s free! It is worthwhile to take advantage of this resource early and often. Even if you aren’t sure what to ask, come visit us. We love to chat!