You probably have a lot of items on your back-to-school list; books to pick up at the bookstore; tasks to settle your Student Account; playlists to carry you that last mile at FitRec. But there’s probably a big item you left off your list; work-life balance.
Preparing for the school year can be exciting and stressful. If you are #New2BU the anxiety around making new friends, attending your first lecture, and finding your way down Commonwealth Avenue can feel overwhelming. It’s easy to add so many items to your to-do list that it becomes impossible for you to stay on track. You can avoid this feeling by remembering to enjoy activities that will contribute to a healthy balance to your life at school.
Here are a few things to make sure you carve out time for:
- Getting enough sleep. If you’re adjusting to sharing a room with someone, try some ambient sounds from a white noise machine or noise canceling headphones. You can also talk to ResLife about other strategies.
- Eating well. Did someone say food? Check out BU’s Dining website for an array of delicious options.
- Studying. Looking for the perfect spot? Visit one of twelve BU Libraries, or while the weather is still nice pack up bags and head the BU Beach.
It’s easy to add so many items to your to-do list that it becomes impossible for you to stay on track. You can avoid this feeling by remembering to enjoy activities that will contribute to a healthy balance to your life at school.
Of course, you’ll also need some stress-busting activities on your list. Everyone manages stress differently, but if you want to try a few common tactics, here are some suggestions:
- Stay active. FitRec is an incredible resource to the BU community. Check it out to find classes, view operation hours, or learn about club sports.
- Enjoy something artistic. Did you know BU students get free access to the MFA and other discounts to the Boston art scene? Check them out!
- Make time to socialize. Visit SPLASH and sign up for a club or two!
If you have a tough time staying in balance, it’s okay to ask for help. BU has a number of offices that are dedicated to helping students maintain their health and balance their lives. When you feel stuck, turn to these folks*:
To make this year your most successful and enjoyable one yet, remember: it’s a balancing act.
*For a comprehensive list of BU offices, please refer to the following link: http://www.bu.edu/info/about/office-list/.